Feb 25, 2020

Have people lost their sense of ADVENTURE

Have people lost their sense of adventure ?… 

well its been on my mind now for a few weeks. More and more I see online people asking where to go, can they do a certain trip in a stupid time frame and so much more. You know years ago it was all about getting out there and exploring. We either went down to the local 4wd shop and bought a map or two, used google maps and google earth and then went exploring. If it meant getting lost or going down a track-road that went no where, well so be it , it was all about the adventure. We never made stupid time limits ( like - trying to go from Sydney to Perth and back again in 14 days ), we made and had realist expectations. If you have holiday time limits, is it really worth all that push and shove to bust your guts ?…. 


Why do 10,000km in three weeks to look at something on the other side of the country when you come back absolutely trashed and then buggered for the next week, why not explore your own back yard. Except if you live in the city where you might get stabbed !!!…  have some bloody expectations people. We just did a 9 month stint in QLD, exploring midwest to the coast and I can tell you we def didn’t see it all, just now here on the south coast of NSW its taken 3 weeks to go 100 km !!. It's all about exploring. I know I know- we are all different, I could ask online where is somewhere to camp or what ever and get offered a shit hole of a place, but its your favourite and that’s fine. I could send you to Hell Hole Gorge in QLD and if you're not prepared it may turn to shit. 

With the amount of apps, detailed books and maps out there and even great blogs, it still makes me laugh at the stupid questions people ask. So why aren’t people getting out there to explore ?… is it they are too lazy, is it a security thing, or have we just lost our sense of adventure ?… I think it is all of the above. 

I would guarantee that if we all drew a 100 > 200 km circle around our home I bet most of us would not of discovered our own back yard. Yes I know that there are bigger and better things across the horizons but make realist plans. Know your limits. I personally have spent nearly 30 years exploring the Coffs Coast and can honestly say that I haven’t explored it all but I have given it a fair shakeup. When people ask me for advise ill help them a bit finding stuff ( remember this was before GPS ) and we only had paper tops maps, but I won’t say exactly where things are as you need to have a bit of adventure within you and if you don’t like it - tough shit. 

So why not grab a map and haver a look around closer to home what you’ve passing by time after time, you might be pleasantly surprised, if you see another track shoot down there and have a look, maybe a walking track, what about that NP or SF that you always see. It won’t hurt to have a look. 



Map reading is a dyeing art, teach your kids about it before all the paper maps are gone - its fun, its fun to get lost too. I know places like FB are great to get info but make it your own adventure and make some personal memories as I reckon people are too reliant on others expectations. Stop being so fridge lazy. Even with the horrific fires, road closures and now the floods, how many time do people ask about this and that week after week after week - do not people know or bloody see so many posts, articles, newspaper reports and on TV to down load the appropriate apps to actually follow what’s going on !!.. That’s our society these days I suppose. 

So people pull your friggen finger out, spend some $$ on a good road atlas, do your own homework and get back out there - you’ll probably be amazed just how smart you really are.



No comments: